Monday, 29 June 2015

The Lucena position in one of my own chess games

(Originally posted on Saturday, 1 July 2017)

Yesterday I played a memorable chess game that featured the Lucena position – one of the most famous and interesting chess positions. I described it at the end of this post.

Please notice that the game is not “one of my best ones” but “one of my favourite ones” – I made some blunders (some of them were HUGE) and my opponent made some blunders too (some of his blunders were HUGE too). Well, blunders are common in amateur blitz chess and the game was cool anyway.

What was good about the game to me:
1. I used my knowledge of the Lucena position.
Analysing the Lucena position is fun on its own, but playing it in one of your own games feels sooo much better!
2. The game was very long.
There were exactly 103 moves played by each player, so in total there were 206 half-moves. Playing (and winning) such a long game is cool.
3. The opening was quiet.
My opponent, who was playing white, played a quiet and off-beat opening. I like to play a quiet opening with white pieces myself, so I enjoyed irritating my opponent by not trying to take over the initiative right away.
4. The endgame was played almost to the very end.
The Lucena position leads to the most basic endgame with minimal winning advantage – a king and a rook against a lone king. Even a chess newcomer should not even start a chess game if he (or she) doesn't know how to win such an endgame.

I was playing black, so flip the board upside-down.


I am not going to describe the Lucena position in detail – just watch the variations, please. All the variations are made for the white pieces.






No comments:

Post a Comment