Wednesday, 16 September 2015

My favourite list of Manic Street Preachers songs

This post originally featured a different move order of the songs and some parts were longer or shorter than 15 songs. Now every part is exactly 15 song long and this is why I had to change the move order and the introduction.

Recently I have modified my favourite list of Manic Street Preachers songs – I have included songs from their last two studio albums. Originally the list featured 51 songs, but now there are 75 songs. I included all 12 songs from the album Rewind The Film and 12 out of 13 songs from the album Futurology.

My list is divided into 5 main parts, each featuring 9 songs from the oldest to the newest and then 6 songs from the oldest to the newest. There are songs from 11 studio albums, so I had some hard time deciding which songs belong to which part. The parts themselves are arranged thematically.

Here is my favourite list of MSP songs – album versions of all the songs [with slight modifications]:


The Best and The Distinctive

1. Motorcycle Emptiness
2. A Design for Life
3. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
4. Epicentre [without the hidden song at the end]
5. Empty Souls
6. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
7. Postcards from a Young Man
8. Rewind the Film
9. Black Square [without the annoying beginning]
10. Interiors (Song for Willem de Kooning)
11. Black Dog on My Shoulder
12. Rendition
13. A Billion Balconies Facing the Sun
14. Builder of Routines
15. The View from Stow Hill


The Bleak and The Rebellious

16. Methadone Pretty
17. Sleepflower
18. Ready for Drowning
19. His Last Painting
20. The Second Great Depression
21. Peeled Apples
22. (It's Not War) Just the End of Love
23. 3 Ways to See Despair
24. Futurology
25. You Love Us
26. Roses in the Hospital
27. Imperial Bodybags
28. Marlon J.D.
29. 30-Year War
30. Let's Go to War


The Passionate and The Critical

31. Stay Beautiful
32. La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh) [with louder beginning]
33. Everything Must Go
34. You Stole the Sun from My Heart
35. The Convalescent
36. To Repel Ghosts
37. Auto-Intoxication
38. Anthem for a Lost Cause
39. Europa Geht Durch Mich
40. Little Baby Nothing
41. Miss Europa Disco Dancer
42. I Live to Fall Asleep
43. Golden Platitudes
44. Running Out of Fantasy
45. Walk Me to the Bridge


The Moody and The Alienating

46. Enola/Alone
47. Be Natural
48. Let Robeson Sing
49. There by the Grace of God
50. Fragments
51. I'm Just a Patsy
52. This Sullen Welsh Heart [without the too-quiet start]
53. As Holy as the Soil (That Buries Your Skin)
54. Divine Youth
55. My Little Empire
56. Royal Correspondent
57. Solitude Sometimes Is
58. 4 Lonely Roads
59. (I Miss the) Tokyo Skyline
60. Misguided Missile


The Positive and The Personal

61. Australia
62. Found That Soul
63. Glasnost
64. I Think I Found It
65. All We Make Is Entertainment
66. Autumnsong
67. Show Me the Wonder
68. Sex, Power, Love and Money
69. Dreaming a City (Hughesovka)
70. Send Away the Tigers
71. Indian Summer
72. Don't Be Evil
73. Manorbier
74. The Next Jet to Leave Moscow
75. Between the Clock and the Bed


When I look at the above list I think that Manic Street Preachers are one of the best bands in music history. And one of the most underrated.


(Friday, 7 August 2015; modified on 12 November 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment