Saturday 19 September 2015

Rewind The Film – a masterpiece

To me Rewind The Film (11th studio album by Manic Street Preachers) is a masterpiece, but I realise that this album would not be enjoyable to everyone. Musically it’s simply beautiful. Lyrically it’s very good, but quite melancholic. With both aspects it’s a matter of taste, so I made this little sample to help you judge the album yourself. Below the sample there are my favourite quotes from every song.



1. This Sullen Welsh Heart (feat. Lucy Rose) (0:00 – 1:05)
I can't fight this war any more
Time to surrender, time to move on

2. Show Me The Wonder (1:03 – 2:02)
We may write in English
But our truth remains in Wales

3. Rewind The Film (feat. Richard Hawley) (2:00 – 3:27)
I want to feel small
Holding on my father's hands

4. Builder Of Routines (3:25 – 4:24)
How I hate middle age
In between acceptance and rage

5. 4 Lonely Roads (feat. Cate Le Bon) (4:22 – 5:14)
I'm trapped inside the skin
Can't let love back in

6. (I Miss The) Tokyo Skyline (5:12 – 6:37)
I long for the non-communication
Everything is happily lost in translation

7. Anthem For A Lost Cause (6:35 -7:25)
Take this, it's yours
An anthem for a lost cause

8. As Holy As The Soil (That Buries Your Skin) (7:23 – 8:22)
Oh, I love you so, won't you please come home
Oh, it's been so long, I can't let go

9. 3 Ways To See Despair (8:20 – 9:08)
I'm no longer the centre of the universe
A bare admission that makes it seem worse

10. Running Out Of Fantasy (9:06 – 10:18)
My fantasy forever locked inside
The obsession with change has bled my dry

11. Manorbier (10:16 – 11:08)
[There are no lyrics in this track, but there is some chorus humming toward the end.]

12. 30-Year War (11:06 – 12:22)
All part of the same establishment
I ask you again “What is to be done?”

(Thursday, 2 January 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment